Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Terror Attack



So Barauch Hashem I have survived the first terroist attack of my time in Jlem.

It happened a few blocks from my work.

An Arab tractor driver at a construction site literally bulldozed cars, flipped over a bus and was apparantly head towards the big market when a police office shot him dead.

Apparantly the police officer was in plain clothes and climbed on top of the tractor and shot the guy in the head.

2 dead, 30 wounded so far.

Im surprisingly okay. Totally okay. The streets are crazy blocked. Cell phone reception only intermediatlly works as I guess everyone is calling their loved ones.

Last time I was in Jlem one 19 year old girl got blown up on her way to work by a knapsack left outside a bus station.

That time I flipped out.

With no warning, a girl only 3 years older then me, on her everyday routine, probably still sleep at 6am, just.....died.

How do you plan around these things?

One could leave Israel. But one can also die anywhere.

So what to do?


Another intern was on the bus behind the bus that got flipped over. He came in pretty shaken.

But I'm so emotionally fine, even though I was taking a bus on that route 2 hours before.


Update

More people are injured. I have to monitor the talkbacks for the newspaper I
m interning at. The truly scary thing is how extreme people are. Incidents like this just reinforce peoples perceptions of Islam and Arabs. All the comment are all about sending the Arabs back to Jordan.

An 18 year old man (boy) shot the terroist. You should check out the video of it. Its insane. He is just in normal clothes, a blue t-shirt and jeans, and he climed on top of the tractor and shot the guy in the head with his tzit tzits flapping.

http://www.jpost.com/

Then look below at Jpost Video for how it all happened

No comments: