Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Internship

The reason I came to Jlem was to do this internship at JewTimes*

*Not the real name but you know those ppl you read about who get fired for blogging about their employers? Don't want that to be me!

So I really had no idea what to expect. None at all. I was supposed to go to Hebrew U but that didn't work out. So I walked in in the afternoon on this super super hot day.

I had a mini clothing crisis in the morning because...what do you wear in a religious city, when its 35 degrees, that is also appropriate for an internship?

I settled on Lulus with a white button up with checkered ballet flats and a pink Burberry headband to accessorize.

I didn't even get lost going there: shockers of shockers.

So I walk into this very quiet, but very large, and of course dusty (this is Jlem) office and kind of wander around for a bit until the editor says 'hi' and tells me to go to the intern room.

There are a bunch of other interns sitting around the table with their Macbooks (yay!).

I still had no idea what I was supposed to do, the hours, the dresscode, the beat..nada.

So I got some info of of..wait..wait for this..

Danielle
Who lives 2 blocks away from me
In Toronto
With medium length curly brown hair
who dated the same guy that I hooked up with (though I didn't mention that part to her---please do not read this blog ever, either of you)
who was drinking a diet coke

basically..ummm I asked..myself.

There is no dresscode thank gosh because I swear I hate most of my jobs because they don't let me wear flipflops.

I didn't have my computer on me so I just kind of sat around trying to think of story ideas until the editor gave me a story to write. But then the computer he gave me was ancient and kept fucking up so I told him I would go home and write it.

I raced home, but it still took me FOREVER and I had to listen to this stupid jackhammer for like half an hour waiting for the bus.

Yes I do take the bus here, please pray for me.

So I actually got back to the hostel , typed out the article in an hour (yay deadline I felt so real journalisticy) and then went to Shoppers drugmart.

Of course I have no real idea how to write articles....which I'm sure showed. So I'm going to have to re-do it tmrw. But I'm excited to learn how and I hope he doesn't just fire me because I turn out to be a total retard and incapable of writing a proper newstory.

I'm happy to have structure this summer, but I don't know what I"m going to do to in my spare time. Probably sit in Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, eat falafel, write this blog, try to improve my newswriting skills, travel on weekends, take up jogging, shop, walk aimlessly around Jlem...

any ideas PLEASE let me know!

No comments: